Friday, February 19, 2010

Campbell-Whittlesey to close, public meeting scheduled

On February 8, 2010, The Landmark Society Board of Trustees approved a motion to cease museum operations at the Campbell-Whittlesey house as of July 1, 2010, and to, in August 2010, begin actively marketing the property for sale.

The decision to close the house museum at Campbell-Whittlesey is the end result of over five years of strategic planning and in-depth studies of opportunities for the property's use. Last summer, we continued this process with the issuance of a press statement informing the public of our progress and inviting community participation in the dialogue about options for the property.

We have now scheduled a public meeting to hear your ideas that might assist us as we market Campbell-Whittlesey and seek its adaptive reuse. Our staff and trustees remain committed to the exploration of viable options that support the proper stewardship and the maintenance of the integrity of this historic treasure.

On behalf of the staff and board of trustees of The Landmark Society of Western New York, all are cordially invited to attend our public meeting on March 4, 2010 at 5:30 p.m.

The meeting will be held in the Powers Building, 8th Floor, 16 West Main Street in downtown Rochester. The Powers Building is located at the corner of Main and State Streets, and parking is available at the Sister Cities garage. Meeting attendees may only enter and exit the building from the 3rd floor skyway leading directly from the garage into the building. You may enter Sister Cities Garage from North Fitzhugh Street.

Refreshments will be served. Please RSVP by calling Carolyn at 546-7029 x 10 or emailing

About Campbell-Whittlesey: The Campbell-Whittlesey House is located at 123 South Fitzhugh Street in the Corn Hill Neighborhood. The 1836 house, one of the nation’s finest examples of Greek Revival architecture, has functioned since 1939 as a museum run by The Landmark Society. Options for the adaptive reuse of this remarkable Rochester historic site will help to re-imagine the building’s purpose as the Society seeks to reinsert it into active life.

posted by Laura Keeney Zavala, director of marketing